Marker at Place of Austin's Death
Steven F. Austin
Stephen F. Austin, the "Father of Texas," died on December 27, 1836, in Columbia (now West Columbia), Texas. He was buried at his sister's home at Peach Point Plantation near present-day Jones Creek, but was reinterred in 1910 on the "Hill of Heroes" in the Texas State Cemetery in Austin. A monument had been placed on the site where Austin died in West Columbia, Brazoria County, during the Texas Centennial Year 1936 by the State of Texas, but the marker and entire area had been overgrown with weeds, and the property was filled with abandoned oil field equipment. It was impossible to recognize as a historically significant site in Texas history.
The property was purchased in 1994 by Billy F. Price, a Houston businessman and long-time county resident. The five-acre site was cleaned, a flagpole erected, and, beginning in 1994, a Texas flag was dedicated and flies continuously at the location of Austin's death. Each year, a new flag is raised at a rededication ceremony, and the flag flown the year before is presented to a local school. The rededication ceremony is intended to be an acknowledgment of and show appreciation for Texas history. The project is documented with a reports on the rededication ceremony; Austin's birthday ceremony; Samuel May Williams, Austin's friend; and Mary Austin Holley, Austin's cousin. In addition, there are several programs from the 1999 rededication ceremony, photos, a copy of a Brazoria County Proclamation honoring Stephen Fuller Austin, and a videotape of the 1999 rededication ceremony.
Originally submitted by: Ron Paul, Representative (14th District).